Regular exercise is good for you. We all know that, but as people get older health complaints, mobility problems, or even simple lack of motivation can all lead to them becoming less active.
If a person is spending long hours everyday chair-bound, they may need some help and encouragement to increase their activity levels. It won’t just improve their physical health, but their mental health too.
The benefits of moving more
- It gets the blood pumping round the body, and makes you less lethargic and more alert.
- It’s good for your heart and can help reduce high blood pressure.
- Regular exercise plays an essential role in reducing the risk of falls by improving core strength and balance.
- It keeps the bones strong, and prevents muscles deteriorating, helping you maintain and even improve your level of mobility and independence.
- It helps you sleep better at night.
- It can improve self esteem and confidence in your own abilities.
- It can provide opportunities for mixing with other people and socialising.
- It can ease anxiety and agitation, and for anyone living with dementia can help reduce restlessness and wandering.
Exercise can be fun!
Exercise takes many forms and with a little imagination you’re sure to be able to find a suitable activity that your loved one will enjoy taking part in.
Don’t worry if they are reluctant to do very much at first. Try to find out what the problem is. Fear of falling or loss of both confidence and motivation are common worries that prevent people being active. Careful choice of activity and the provision of appropriate balance and mobility aids (such as walking stick or rollator) can make all the difference.
Here at Prospect House we try to be creative in the activities we provide to make sure exercise is a lively, sociable, and above all enjoyable activity that everyone can join in whatever their ability.
So whether you enjoy a relaxing walk outside, dancing round the lounge, a spot of gentle gardening, armchair aerobics, or seated yoga, the emphasis needs to be on having fun.
Prospect House is a thriving care home in the historic village of Malpas providing luxury residential, nursing, dementia and respite care. Please call us on 01948 800692 to arrange a personal guided tour of the home. You’ll be able to see for yourself how good life can be here and we’ll be available to answer any questions you may have.